Friday, November 18, 2011

USB to AVR interface.

Yes, I'm talking about sending data from an AVR chip to a USB port. I've been wanting to do this for awhile, to be able to log data over a time period, and creating custom interfaces for random... ok fine I don't have any damn good reason other than I just want to know how it works. I've been taking stuff apart for years to find out, now I'm putting things together to find out how it works. Regardless. Hackaday ran this I figured it's a good start, but I don't just want to keep repeating stuff everyone else does. BUT I figure I need a breakout board. Some sort of interface between the two.
Vcc pin goes to Vcc on the chip, and GND to the GND pins
Seems pretty simple, and it is. The Diodes are used as a cheap voltage regulator. That way the chip outputs 5v and the diode regulates it down to 3.6v to go into your USB port on your computer. (not something you want to burn out) The 100uF is probably just decoupling he put a 100nF on the chip between Vcc and ground, probably for the same reason. R1 and R2 feed the data pins on the chip.  Simple yes? In my infinite wisdom I for some reason chose the smallest protoboard I had XD So things got tight, not the most elegant solution, but it should work. I outputted everything to wires so I could breadbord it how I wanted with little problem. Now I just have make the chip work!





No comments:

Post a Comment